The Hindu Marriage Act 1955 and the Special Marriage Act 1954. A divorce petition can be presented to the district court within the local limits of whose original civil jurisdiction the:
· Marriage was solemnised.
· Respondent, at the time of the presentation of the petition, resides.
· Parties to the marriage last resided together.
· Wife resides on the date of presentation of the petition (if she is the petitioner).
· Petitioner resides at the time of the presentation of the petition, in a case where the respondent, at that time, either:
· resides outside the territories to which the acts extend; or
· has not been heard of as being alive for a period of seven years or more by those persons who would naturally have heard of him/her if he/she were alive.